Connecting people. Inspiring action. Strengthening community.
The Partnership for a Healthier Carroll County, Inc. was established in 1999 by Carroll Hospital Center (then Carroll County General Hospital) and the Carroll County Health Department to serve as the central coordinating hub for community-based health improvement strategies in Carroll County, Maryland.
Carroll Hospital Center proposed the formation of The Partnership after the completion of an extensive Community Health Assessment Project. Health assessment results have revealed health areas of special concern to our community. These areas form the Core Health Areas addressed by The Partnership, and include:
- Prevention & Wellness
- Access to Health Care
- Behavioral Health (mental health and substance abuse)
- Elder Health
- Heart Health
- Interpersonal Violence
- Positive Youth & Family Development
To address some of these concerns, The Partnership has created or helped to launch a number of community health improvement initiatives, including:
- Access Carroll, Inc., a nonprofit organization offering free health care to uninsured, low-income residents of Carroll County
- Mammography awareness and education
- Tobacco-free living projects connected with the Great American Smokeout (held each year in November)
- L.E.A.N. Carroll, a campaign to promote healthy child weights
- Safer in the Shade initiative to educate youth about skin cancer prevention
- It’s Crunch Time! school-based project to increase healthy eating among children
- Seniors Keep in Touch Program (SKIT) phone safety and assurance program for older adults living alone
- Caring Carroll, Inc., a volunteer program to assist older or disabled adults striving to remain in their own homes
The Partnership operates through collaborative Leadership Teams and Action Teams that set targets, develop strategies and track progress toward specific health improvement goals.
Carroll Hospital Center established The Partnership as the entity to:
- Assess unmet health needs in our community
- Expand the capacity for health and quality of life improvement in our community
- Serve as the Hospital’s collaborative vehicle for interaction with the community
For more information or to join our efforts, please contact The Partnership for a Healthier Carroll County, Inc. at 410-871-7645, send e-mail to ThePartnership@HealthyCarroll.org or visit www.HealthyCarroll.org.