Whether you’re an athlete in your prime or a weekend warrior struggling to stay in shape, you may find yourself sidelined by an injury that needs a physician’s care. While many injuries can be treated without surgery, when you need a surgical procedure, you can count on Carroll Hospital Center’s team of orthopaedists who treat sports injuries.
For a physician referral, call 410-871-7000 or search our online physician directory.
Our sports medicine professionals provide:
- Rapid evaluation of your injury using the latest diagnostic methods and modalities
- Non-surgical treatments that may include rest, ice, elevation, immobilization, medications and/or cortisone.
- Fracture repair — we can provide surgical repair of complex fractures that cannot be reduced (realigned) without surgery, using special orthopaedic pins, screws, plates or bone grafts when appropriate.
- Arthroscopic procedures — minimally invasive procedures, usually performed on an outpatient basis, that will get you back in the game as quickly as possible. Using a small camera called an arthroscope and other small instruments inserted through several tiny incisions, doctors can view and treat a variety of sports medicine problems.
Two common procedures are:
- Arthroscopic rotator cuff repair — repair of should joint tendons, called the rotator cuff, using several tiny incisions, a tiny camera and a monitor to view the area being repaired. Some patients may benefit instead from an open (normal incision) or mini-open (somewhat smaller incision) procedure.
- Arthroscopic reconstruction of knee ligaments, including the ACL (anterior cruciate ligament), the knee ligament most susceptible to injury.