Connecting people. Inspiring action. Strengthening community.
The Partnership for a Healthier Carroll County, Inc., is the coordinating hub for community-based health improvement strategies in Carroll County, Maryland. The Partnership is a non-profit organization established in 1999 by Carroll Hospital Center (then Carroll County General Hospital) and the Carroll County Health Department. It serves to:
- Promote healthy lifestyles,
- Inspire leadership,
- Track emerging health issues,
- Influence policies that impact health,
- Oversee community health assessments, and
- Monitor data to “check the pulse” of Carroll's population health
Carroll Hospital Center proposed the formation of The Partnership after an extensive Community Health Assessment Project that was completed in 1997. This original assessment revealed health areas of special concern to our community. Additional assessments since 1997 have increased our understanding of Carroll’s community health improvement needs. The Partnership's Community Health Improvement Areas are based on this ongoing process of health needs assessment and analysis. For more information on community health needs assessments and the Community Health Improvement Areas, visit HealthyCarroll.org.
Local health improvement initiatives launched by The Partnership include:
- Access Carroll, Inc., a non-profit organization offering a health care home to uninsured, low-income residents of Carroll County,
- Assistance to Carroll residents seeking to enroll in health insurance through the Maryland Health Connection,
- Projects connected with the Great American Smokeout (held each year in November), and leadership in local efforts to establish smoke-free campuses,
- L.E.A.N. Carroll, a campaign to promote healthy weight,
- Walk Carroll, a long-term program inspiring residents to engage in regular physical activity, and
- Safer in the Shade and Fun in the Sun, initiatives to educate youth about skin cancer prevention.
The Partnership works through volunteer Leadership Teams and Action Teams that set improvement targets, develop collaborative strategies, and track progress toward specific goals.
Carroll Hospital Center also has established The Partnership as the entity to assess local health needs and track population health data in our community.
For more information or to assist in The Partnership's health improvement efforts, call 410-871-7645,
e-mail ThePartnership@HealthyCarroll.org or visit HealthyCarroll.org.