Connecting people. Inspiring action. Strengthening community.
The Partnership for a Healthier Carroll County, Inc., serves as the coordinating hub for community-based health improvement strategies in Carroll County, Maryland. As a non-profit organization established in 1999 by Carroll Hospital Center (then Carroll County General Hospital) and the Carroll County Health Department, we work to:
- Promote healthy lifestyles,
- Inspire leadership,
- Track emerging health issues,
- Influence policies that impact health,
- Oversee community health assessments, and
- Monitor health data to regularly “check the pulse” of our community.
Carroll Hospital Center proposed the formation of The Partnership after an extensive Community Health Assessment Project completed in 1997. This original Assessment revealed health areas of special concern to our community. Repeated Assessments since 1997 have focused our information about Carroll’s community health improvement priorities. These form the Community Health Improvement Areas addressed by The Partnership. For more information on these Areas, visit www.HealthyCarroll.org.
To address some of Carroll’s unique health concerns, The Partnership has created or helped to launch a number of local initiatives, including:
- Access Carroll, Inc., a non-profit organization offering free health care to uninsured, low-income residents of Carroll County,
- Mammography awareness and education,
- Tobacco-free living projects connected with the Great American Smokeout (held each year in November), and leadership in local efforts to establish smoke-free campuses,
- L.E.A.N. Carroll, a campaign to promote healthy child weights,
- Safer in the Shade initiative to educate youth about skin cancer prevention,
- Seniors Keep in Touch Program (SKIT) and Caring Carroll, Inc. — programs that assist older or disabled adults striving to remain in their own homes.
The Partnership operates through volunteer Leadership Teams and Action Teams that set improvement targets, develop collaborative strategies, and track progress toward specific community health goals.
Carroll Hospital Center has established The Partnership as the entity to assess health needs in our community and to expand our community’s capacity to improve health and quality of life.
For more information or to join our efforts, please contact The Partnership for a Healthier Carroll County, Inc., at 410-871-7645, send an e-mail to ThePartnership@HealthyCarroll.org, or visit www.HealthyCarroll.org.