Carroll Hospital Center offers externships to qualified nursing students actively enrolled in an accredited program. Students must first serve an externship before advancing to an internship, which is available to senior level nursing students within six months of graduation.
The purpose of an externship is to provide beginner to mid-level students with valuable hands-on experience that will allow them to practice their current skills, as well as learn more advanced skills. Students will be exposed to several different clinical settings, rotating from unit to unit based on need. The externship is a stepping stone to a higher-level internship that may be applied for during the last six months of nursing school.
To apply for an externship, students must:
- Have successfully completed Fundamentals of Nursing
- Be a Maryland Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA)
Students must also be available to:
- Attend a four-day hospital orientation
- Work year-round:
- 16 hours per month while in school
- Full time during school breaks
- Hands on learning opportunities
- Exposure to a variety of clinical settings
- Additional clinical training
How to Apply
- Check the listings on the Job Search and Applications section of the website.
- If there is a Nursing Externship posted, follow the instructions to apply online.
The externship is a stepping stone to apply for our internship. Internships are available only to senior-level nursing students within six months of graduation. Our internship is the perfect opportunity to orient to the RN role while finishing nursing school. Internships are dedicated to a specific unit within the hospital. Carroll Hospital Center offers externships to qualified nursing students actively enrolled in an accredited program. Students must first serve an externship before advancing to an internship.
For more information about a nursing externship or internship, please call Human Resources at 410-871-7072.