With the heat and humidity of Maryland summers comes the urge for cool and satisfying treats. As the mercury rises, try some of these healthy summer snacks:
- Freeze chunks of melon or grapes (after rinsing), or make a banana popsicle by placing a stick in an unpeeled banana and freezing it for a cool treat.
- Thread watermelon, pineapple, strawberries and other fruit onto a skewer and make a fruit kabob.
- Blend your favorite fruits with low fat yogurt or milk and ice to create a satisfying smoothie.
- Keep a variety of cold, crunchy vegetables cut and ready to eat, such as celery, carrots and cucumber, and pair with a tasty, low fat dip.
- Create your own trail mix using whole-grain cereal; nuts like unsalted peanuts, cashews, walnuts and sunflower seeds; and dried fruits like apples, pineapple, raisins and apricots.
- With the abundance of farmers markets available in our area, simply enjoy the freshness of locally grown fruits and vegetables in their natural state this summer.
Looking for your favorite summer fruits and veggies? Check out the fresh produce at the weekly farmers market located in the third level of the hospital’s parking garage every Thursday from 12:30 to 4:30 p.m.!
And don’t forget to “Like” us on Facebook to get timely health and wellness information, including our weekly healthy recipe ideas.